The Ultimate Guide to Palm-Oil Free Toothpaste
When you first take inventory of the conflict palm oil in your life, toothpaste seems like an inescapable item. Mainstream toothpastes contain glycerin, propylene glycol, and sodium lauryl sulfate (to foam) — all derived largely from untraceable palm oil.
Thankfully, you don't have to look far for ethical oral care. There are plenty of alternative pastes, soaps, and powders out there and we’ve compiled them in a list just for you. We've also included several options that you can find in-person at any mainstream health food store — some of which are perfect for children.
20+ options for a clean mouth and peaceful mind:
1. Earthpaste Toothpaste, $7.67 | This glycerin and SLS-free paste can be easily bought on sale at my local Sprouts, which I really appreciate. There are six flavors to choose from, including Lemon Twist which is kid-friendly. Read our full review here. Vegan.
2. Wildist Toothpaste, $7 | This new toothpaste promises a foamy lather without the Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). It comes in three flavors: Brillimint (peppermint and spearmint), Soothinger (ginger and wintergreen), and Dreamomile (spearmint and chamomile). We’ve confirmed and their glycerin is derived from coconut oil. Vegan.
3. Dr. Bronner's Toothpaste, $6.49 | Did you know that this popular soap company made toothpaste? I spot this well-priced paste at the store often, in one of it's three flavors: Anise, Cinnamon, and Peppermint. We also verified with their chemist and the glycerin in their toothpaste comes from organic soybean oil. Vegan.
4. Weleda Toothpaste, $2.50-8.00 | This brand offers some of the most targeted pastes on this list, like the Ratanhia flavor which treats and strengthens gums. There are five flavors total to choose from, one of which is especially for children, and travel sizes are available. All flavors are vegan EXCEPT for the Salt, which contains lactose. We also confirmed that all of the glycerin in these pastes are derived from non-GMO rapeseed oil from Germany.
5. Fat & the Moon Tooth Soap, $12 | This is one of my favorite products ever. You just add a drop or two of soap on your toothbrush and it will suds just as well as any toothpaste with SLS. Read our full review and see photos here. Vegan.
They also make a Tooth Polish ($12). This is a fun addition if you're having a hard time finding palm-free tooth whiteners or just want to try something new. Sprinkle a bit of this powerful powder on top of your toothpaste and and gently brush away tea or coffee stains! Vegan.
6. Fig & Yarrow Tooth Powder, $8.40 | This complex powder starts with a base of white clay, sea salt, and baking soda. Wild-harvested myrrh, licorice root, xylitol, and neem are then added for their anti-microbial properties. The flavor is undeniably luxe, too: Cornmint and Lavender. Vegan.
7. Mother Mountain Herbals Tooth Powder, $7 | Sprinkle this mixture of bentonite clay and baking soda on a wet toothbrush and experience the four thieves in action: oils of clove, cinnamon, rosemary, and eucalyptus. Vegan.
8. Shantara's Soaps Tooth Soap, $9 | A solid tooth soap perfect for traveling, as it comes in its own tin! Three flavors are available - Peppermint, Clove, and Tea Tree - and each formula promises lots of bubbles, which you won't get with a powder. Activated charcoal acts as a natural whitener. Vegan.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to be notified every time one of our palm oil free guides gets updated with new products! As always, we recommend you consult with your dentist before getting into a new oral care routine.